Monday, September 1, 2008

Fuzzy


I cannot contain myself. Blogs are for letting out these deep feelings, and I have to emote about Fuzzy. Fuzzy is a childhood dream come true. She came to me from a family who was moving back to the States. They have 3 children, one of whom is allergic to everything in the world and should be walking around in a plastic bubble but somehow is surviving without one. Apparently hamsters are hypoallergenic...which I never knew. It's too bad because it might have helped my case when pleading with my mom for one as a kid. Their rodent-ness was the reason for her refusal. But it worked out well for me in the end. On my 9th birthday, after begging for a hamster for weeks and weeks, I received a turtle. Yes, you are correct...they are not anything alike. Still, I have always had a deep abiding love for reptiles and amphibians, and my new pet, which I named Hamster even though he was a turtle, sparked my devotion to turtles which became my new favorite animal. I loved Hamster deeply and was very sad when he was stolen. But that is a story for another day. Besides, it hurts too much to think about it...

Anyway, back to Fuzzy who was originally named Cotton by the aforementioned family. I haven't officially changed the name or anything. Really, I just call all cute animal things 'fuzzy' in a high-pitched squeaky voice to relieve my feelings. The feelings that make me want to squeeze their little heads off. That would probably put me in danger of retaliation from PETA terrorists. So talking with a helium-voice is a better option.

Fuzzy is a special hamster. Not only has he survived 2 weeks with me and my lack of maternal instincts, but he can climb on the top of his cage like he's doing the monkey bars. Also, Fuzzy is a master of Hide and Seek...which kind of freaked me out a bit when she hid behind the desk for several hours. I crawled around the house trying to "think like a hamster" until I finally called Emily, and she came and found her. And now that you are all confused about the gender of my hamster, I will clear that up for you too. Fuzzy is a girl. So I've been told. No one has given me any definite proof of this fact though. But, as I mentioned to Emily when she complained about my incorrect pronoun usage, that I tend to refer to all animals as boys and vice versa. Yes, I thought it was a clever thing to say, but Emily is married and more mature than me and also a better cook, so she had to stay serious and roll her eyes.

Another one of Fuzzy's many talents is escaping the pink hamster ball. She does this by running full speed at stationary objects. I also like to put her under my shirt and wait for her to find her way out. She's not as good at this game, but I think it's funny and it tickles like crazy. Since I live alone, it's ok for me to scream and laugh loudly for no apparent reason. Although there is a reason. Fuzzy. The light of my life.

I will leave you with some photos of my baby. Later, when I finally get a video of Fuzzy doing the monkey bars, I will post it for your enjoyment.


Me and Fuzzy having a moment

Another moment

Fuzzy and I re-enacting a scene from an alien TV show that I watched one long night at Mel's house in Rukkn Ed-din. It was about snake-like aliens that dressed in people skin but ate rats and rabbits and things like that in private. You can really see Fuzzy's acting talent. The horror of this moment is reflected in her piercing black eyes.


3 comments:

  1. okay, okay, I laughed really hard. I can't wait to meet Fuzzy, that poor gender confused mammal. At least I won't pretend to eat her. I can't come up with anything else cool to say. Too tired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember watching V...those rodent eating aliens are so scary. If you eat Fuzzy, I'll tell Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness this post was awesome. The origin story of you and your love of turtles was priceless. I wonder if you'd have become a different person entirely had you gotten that hamster in the first place?

    Also, I have to applaud Fuzzy's survival skills. I recall that particular lack of maternal instinct with our duck, Betsy-Mi.

    ReplyDelete