Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Plants and Chocolate

I hate plants. I mean, I'm not opposed to the whole oxygen thing that they help with, but people trying to create indoor jungles-that's what bothers me. Isn't there enough nature around us? Even in the cities, there are those weed things that grow out of the cracks in the sidewalk. And if you get really desperate, go to a park. Here I am, right by the beach. There are plenty of trees and other types of vegetation around me. Why does Anne need all these plants? I am trying hard to keep them alive, but that watering thing is difficult to remember. At present, there are several dead ones. The thing is, I don't care so much about these plants that I can't remember if they were dead when I got here or what. Also, aren't some plants supposed to turn brown at certain times? Should I keep watering them? And isn't it possible to drown plants? I wouldn't want to do that...Actually, I wouldn't really care, but Anne might. That is the main point of her wanting me to stay in her house. That, and not having to pack up everything.

For me, plants and flowers are in the same category of unnecessary things that require excessive attention for the brief period of time when they are still alive. Unfortunately, I'm a girl (I say that a lot for some reason). And people tend to want to give girls flowers. And as a girl, I'm supposed to like that. But what am I supposed to do with those flowers? Flowers are pretty until they die and turn into mulch. So you are supposed to put in them in some kind of vase which means first tearing off all of the frou frou ribbons and glittery cellophane. And then finding a vase is so complicated. Mostly because I don't have one and I tend to live at other people's houses. And other people tend to store those kinds of things on high shelves. I tend not to want to climb up to get things from a high shelf. Unless it's something good to eat. Like chocolate. Some people like to hide chocolate away from others. It's not very nice, but they do. If I have chocolate, it doesn't last long enough to get hidden. When it comes to chocolate or candy or whatever, I eat it in the moment that I want it. Because who knows if you'll ever want it more than that moment? And the enjoyment of the eating is directly related to how much you want to eat it. My Christmas candy never saw the New Year. That's ok though. I used my lack of candy as an excuse to beg from of my tender-hearted sisters.

6 comments:

  1. Really, she should know better than to think her plants will be alive when she gets back. Yes, you can drown plants, no...I have no clue what to do with them either. So far, I've killed a poinsettia, a mini rose bush, and a tulip. Flowers are pretty but you're right...when they die it's kind of gross and sad. Maybe Emily can show you how to water properly. MJ might have tips too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, am a plant killer. I cringe when someone give me a plant, because with the plant comes the guilt of failing to keep it alive, as if it represents the relationship I have with that person. And the worst is when someone dies and you receive a plant in their memory...THEN when I kill it, the guilt is excruciating! Please don't ever send me a plant...it is a scarring experience for me....

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's something else you should know. Spelling errors drive me crazy--seriously--like the one I made in the above comment. So I can't let it go until I let you know that I meant to write "GIVES me a plant". But I will try to refrain from pointing out any errors you might make. That would just be rude.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hamsters don't live very long and require attention for the short time they are alive...are you going to stop watering Cotton?

    ReplyDelete
  5. And Emily can't show you how to water properly...I kill everything. I even once killed a cactus that Scott gave me. The one plant that I didn't kill up in Alaska-a jalapeno plant-I insisted on taking with me on the move to South Carolina. I kept it in the car with me and watered it every night in hotels, and I talked the border control agent into not making me surrender it when I left Canada. It made it to South Carolina, and then it died in a rare October freeze.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm... I think you still break even on this whole "being a girl thing." Hate flowers? -1 point. Love chocolate? +1 point.

    I initially thought this post was going to be about eating steak or something... mmm... steak...

    ReplyDelete